2019 Executive Board
The Executive Board is responsible for overall policy and direction of the foundation, day to day operations associated with each role and ensuring that all decisions made align with our mission. The Executive Board is responsible for creating a yearly budget, sharing all Executive Board meeting minutes and financial documents with the General Board. The Executive Board is responsible for making decisions via a majority vote of all in attendance at Executive Board meetings. The Executive Board is responsible for handling all conflict management issues between members within The Aubrey Foundation and amongst external relationships, as needed.
Laureen Romano, Secretary & Marketing Co-Chair| Aubrey is a light, a guiding force and an inspiration. Aubrey is my cousin but she also was a wonderful teacher and mentor, and my go-to MaMa when I had my son. After her passing my sister, cousin and I founded this organization to continue her mission. I have been humbled by the response from the community and so honored to be a part of it. It is my hope that as this organization grows we continue to be her light, a guiding positive force, and an inspiration for others as we all #LiveLikeAubrey.
Emily Angeles, Treasurer
Lori Kaye, Marketing Co-Chair | I became involved with the Aubrey Foundation when I found out that plans were in the works for a “Purple for Pappas 5K” fund-raiser three years ago. My enthusiasm for volunteering was two-fold: I had experience coordinating other successful 5K races, and it was a way for me to “give back” for the way that Aubrey touched our family. My son, Harrison, was a 6th grade Honors English student in Aubrey’s class in 2006-07. He learned how to express himself creatively, and was inspired to step up and be a leader at many levels in middle and high school. As a senior at Stevens Institute of Technology, he continues to “live like Aubrey” by volunteering with many community and charitable events in Hoboken, managing leadership roles in baseball and his fraternity, and continually seeking ways to help others. It brings a smile to my heart when I see him wearing his purple “Live Like Aubrey” bracelet every day…
Gordon Millner, Events Co-Chair | I met Aubrey years ago and was instantly drawn to her personality. She was unbelievably welcoming and a ton of fun to be around. She was bubbly, genuine, and always willing to help. When Aubrey passed away, it seemed crazy that so much of the world wouldn’t get to experience just how wonderful she was. It was that feeling that made me want to join The Aubrey Foundation and make sure Aubrey’s light and legacy continues to reach people even when she is no longer here.
Maria Millner, Events Co-Chair | Aubrey was a friend, a mentor, a teacher, a cousin. She was laughter, love, strength, ambition, passion and beauty. Above all, she was a positive influence to so many lives. In a world of much uncertainty, hatred and judgement, one appreciates confidence, kindness and acceptance so much more. These beautiful traits were Aubrey’s attributes which I feel must be lived through as many people as possible. This foundation allows me to keep Aubrey’s energy fluid by bringing others together and giving back to the students of North Brunswick, which Aubrey was so deeply invested in. One of the best parts is connecting to new people and collectively continuing to positively influence lives in Aubrey’s name.
Heather Zelehoski, Philanthropy Chair | I met Aubrey through my husband, John. Aubrey and John taught together at Linwood Middle School for many years. Aubrey and I had many similar interests including our love for the NY Yankees and above all, our love for our children. As a first time mother, I often turned to Aubrey for advice on motherhood. She was always there to lend a listening ear and to answer any of my questions. As soon as the Foundation was developed, I knew that I wanted to be involved. Aubrey was very special to my family. As a member of the foundation, I hope to give back to others just as Aubrey did.
2019 Board of Trustees
Our Board of Trustees consists of all of our Executive Board Members AND additional General Board Members.
The General Board is responsible for being a representative of The Aubrey Foundation by living out the mission and contributing thoughts, insights and suggestions throughout the year. The General Board is also responsible for actively participating in the foundation’s Fundraising and Recruiting Plan. The General Board will be responsible for voting on the yearly budget.
Executive Board Members: Laureen Romano, Emily Angeles, Lori Kaye, Gordon Millner, Maria Millner & Heather Zelehoski
General Board Members:
Cristin Cowley, Board Member | Aubrey’s infectious laugh, her tough but honest loving advice, compassionate heart and positive spirit impacted the lives of many students, educators, community members, friends and family. I was fortunate to not only consider her a mentor, but a friend, cousin and “big sister”. Co-founding The Aubrey Foundation provided an opportunity to allow Aubrey’s memory to live on through the outlets she was most passionate about: education and bringing family, friends and community together. It is my personal mission through the Foundation to continue encouraging community building through various events and to positively impact students’ academic, personal and professional growth in the #LiveLikeAubrey spirit!
Nicole Jacunski, Board Member | I have known Aubrey since 2006 when we met at Linwood Middle School, and I became her co teacher in an inclusion Language Arts 6th grade class. We became fast friends. We taught together for many years, and made many amazing memories both inside and outside of school. Aubrey always taught me to live life to the fullest, and for that I am grateful. I named my daughter, Skyler Aubrey, after her and know her shining light will always look after my daughter and family.
Derek Angeles, Board Member | My involvement with The Aubrey Foundation came about when I designed their first fundraising banner. Although, that first banner was looked at as a favor, I would then find myself designing flyers for additional events, especially the Purple for Pappas 5k, and various signs and pictures. Although I didn’t meet Aubrey personally, what inspires me to continue fulfilling this role within The Aubrey Foundation are the people who began it all and who continue to put forth their efforts towards its’ success. It is through each one of the board member’s stories and experiences that drive me to design each piece to the best of my abilities to represent Aubrey and the foundation that honors not only her name, but her as a person.
Megan Romano, Board Member
Mindy Steinman, Board Member
Arnold Weinberg, Board Member
Elizabeth Raspa, Board Member
Stephanie Raspa, Board Member
Antonio Mistretta, Board Member
Description of Roles
Our Executive Board Roles:
Secretary: The Secretary shall be responsible for keeping records of board actions, including overseeing the taking of minutes at all Executive and General Board meetings and if applicable the 5K meetings, sending out meeting announcements, distributing copies of minutes and the agenda to each board member, and assuring that appropriate records are maintained. The Secretary will keep members accountable for updating all necessary documents, sharing/CC-ing all correspondence and ensuring that all adhere to the attendance policy. The Secretary will facilitate all Executive and General Board meetings. The secretary will create and maintain a foundation calendar, ensure all events are staffed and facilitate the text chains, including sending meeting reminders. The Secretary shall also be responsible for enforcing accountability for each member’s respective responsibilities and commitment. The Secretary is responsible for managing the Google account including but not limited to email, calendar and Google Drive for the foundation. The Secretary is responsible for ensuring that all memberships (PO Box, Center for Nonprofits, etc) and the Insurance Policy is renewed. The Secretary will be back-up to the Treasurer as needed.
Treasurer: The Treasurer shall present a financial report at each Executive and General Board meeting. The Treasurer shall track the bank account, regularly check the P.O. Box for incoming checks, oversee all events’ finances, prepare all budgets as necessary, develop fundraising plans, file yearly financial documents including, but not limited to, taxes, 990N, CRI 300R, and w-9, and make financial information available to board members and the public. The Treasurer shall also send out formal tax deductible letters to all donors. The Treasurer will oversee purchases being made for the foundation, including events, and ensuring members have cash during events. The Treasurer will be responsible for reimbursing members and holding members accountable to the set budget when they make purchases. All financial documents shall be sent to the secretary to be filed, and shared under the Treasurer folder in the Shared Google Drive. The Treasurer (and the Secretary) will be an authorized signer and will have access to withdrawal and deposit funds in and out of the corporation’s bank account. The Treasurer will be back-up to the Secretary as needed.
Marketing Chair(s): The Marketing Chair(s) is/are responsible for developing and executing the marketing plan. This includes all print and digital media forums, including, but not limited to:
- Press Releases (year round; for events, donations, volunteer work, etc.)
- Design/Creation of flyers, signs, banners, postcards, etc.,
- Foundation (and event) branded merchandise/giveaways/apparel
- Website Updates/Maintenance
- Social Media (regular posting, including, but not limited to: simple posts, photo albums, creation of events, advertising, sponsor spotlights & responding to comments/direct messages.
The Marketing Chair(s) is/are responsible for working with other members of the Executive Board & Committee Members to coordinate that marketing designs are decided upon and purchased in a timely manner. The Marketing Chair(s) has jurisdiction, with his/her committee, to determine how the marketing budget will be spent. All documents and invoices shall be shared in the Marketing Folder on the shared Google Drive.
Events Chair(s): The Events Chair(s) is responsible for managing the coordination/leading meetings associated with the following two events:
- Purple for Pappas 5K: The Events Chair(s) is responsible for planning & leading all 5K meetings, managing all 5K operations from start to finish and keeping committee members accountable for their commitments. The Events Chair(s) is also responsible for updating the Executive and General Board at all meetings on 5K progress, including but not limited to updates on registration, sponsorships, vendors, volunteers, logistics and community relations. The Events Chair(s) is responsible for ensuring that all files and folders are updated in the Purple for Pappas 5K Folder on the shared Google Drive.
- Cigar Night: The Events Chair(s) is responsible for planning & leading all Cigar Night meetings, managing all Cigar Night operations from start to finish and keeping committee members accountable for their commitments. The Events Chair(s) must work in conjunction with an Anthony Raspa Scholarship Fund Liaison. The Cigar Night Chair is also responsible for updating the Executive and General Board at all meetings on Cigar Night progress, including but not limited to updates on registration, sponsorships, vendors, volunteers, logistics and community relations. The Events Chair(s) is responsible for ensuring that all files and folders are updated in the Cigar Night Folder on the shared Google Drive.
Philanthropy Chair(s): The Philanthropy Chair(s) is responsible for being The Aubrey Foundation Liaison (and school liaison) associated with all gifting for the foundation, further described below:
- Scholarships: The Philanthropy Chair(s) is/are responsible for planning & leading all Scholarship meetings, managing all Scholarship operations from start to finish and keeping committee members accountable for their commitments. The Philanthropy Chair(s) will be the liaison to the North Brunswick Township Board of Education and School Administration as it pertains to this giving initiative. The Philanthropy Chair(s) is responsible for updating the Executive and General Board at all meetings on Scholarship(s) progress, including but not limited to essay prompts, submission timeline, and recipient list. The Philanthropy Chair(s) is responsible for coordinating all submitted essays, Awards Night Script and thank yous/follow up to recipients. The Philanthropy Chair(s) is responsible for ensuring that all files and folders are updated in the Scholarships Folder on the shared Google Drive.
- Linwood Club: The Philanthropy Chair(s) is responsible for being the liaison between the Linwood Club advisor and The Aubrey Foundation and providing updates at all Executive and General Board meetings. The Philanthropy Chair(s) is responsible for ensuring that all files and folders are updated in The Linwood Club Folder on the shared Google Drive.